We are on a roll! Tonight I have called my uncle Nico as well. A celebrity in my home town and a top-notch builder. He knows everything about concrete.
I had 3 questions:
- what kind of concrete mixture do I buy? Can I just go to the hardware store and buy something?
- uncle Nico’s answer: do NOT just buy anything. You will need “fine granulate p42.5”
- me: urggh?
- how thick do I make the concrete table top so it won’t crack, if someone would try to sit on it e.g.?
- uncle Nico’s answer: you have to reinforce the concrete with a steel net. The concrete needs to be trembled as well. And do take into account that concrete weighs 2.4 tonne per m³
- do you have tips for my mold?
- uncle Nico’s answer: bring it to me, I will take a look at it
- me: you are the best!
What an instructive telephone call. But I suddenly worried about the weight of the table top. I made a little calculation:
- according to the cart’s measurements and a table top of 5 cm, the table top is 0,04m³ –> with uncle Nico’s information, my cart would weigh 96kg + 30. That is a lot!
- recalculating, I think a top of 3 cm is more realistic –> 57kg + 30. And that might be just perfect because the height of the steel frame is exactly 3cm as well. All the pieces fall into place …
But it reminds me to ask Wim whether my ‘zwee’ can hold a 60kg table top! I will keep you posted.